Friday, March 19, 2010

The Navy?

They sent me a mailer espousing the wonders of a NAVY education. It's taken me a long time, but I think I might be ready to join the NAVY. WHAT! I'm too old? Yes, I am. I guess it's a good thing. I probably couldn't make it past boot camp. Maybe they have a baking boot camp. Whisks ready?!! Whisk! I said WHISK Ensign, NOW!

I really do like my country but I'm  not sure I could put my life in danger to protect it.

I think if someone was coming up the shore to capture my flag, I'd fight them. But really now, I'd much rather relax and read a good book. Like a book about someone who struggles to find their way. I like writing that envelops me and allows me to take a journey inside the heart of the characters. But, honestly, I've become a lazy reader. I've pretty much abandoned my search for complex novels that take me in and refuse to release me. I've been reading mysteries, which I love. I've also lapsed into Harlequin Intrigue, they all have the same effect: strong girl is in trouble, bad but virtuous boy sweeps in, muscles and beauty collide in a stormy connection, and sometimes they make it past the first time and sometimes they don't, but there's always hope. Hope. I think there might be hope for my return to fiction. I love the feeling of being infused with the essence of a story. I love complex and lovely prose. I do love lovely prose. And, when I read something spectacular, even if it's sad, I feel exalted. It's almost as if this author has touched my soul and spoken directly to me. It truly feels amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment