Friday, March 26, 2010

Natural Deodorant

I've been looking my entire adult life for a natural deodorant. I've tried them all: solid salt, enzyme enriched, glycerin with lichen, yeah, lichen of all things. None of them worked, not even Tom's of Maine (which is now owned by a mega corporation and Tom is happily retired on some island with his millions). They ALL left me smelling terrible and causing awful sweat stains. This search of mine is always present. I have always looked for something that will work for me, something that won't pump nasty chemicals and heavy metals into my body. I have quite the collection of deodorants.

In the meantime, I've been using Dove antiperspirant. It did an OK job but it still delivered aluminum into my body. Since no one really seems to know if this is damaging, I went on using it, hoping against all hope to find something natural. Well, lo and behold, I found it. I was reading my Zappos Digest (yes, I know, a shoe digest of all things but shoes are a love of mine and it makes me happy to read about them and they just happen to be discussing sweat stains of all things) and I came upon an article about how to get rid of underarm sweat stains. Several contributors suggested trying milk of magnesium in place of deodorant. They said: you just dab it on with a cloth and it handles the body odor, cuts down on perspiration and won't leave those damn sweat stains on your clothes.

I've tried a salt lick, might as well try milk of magnesium. What the hell, I thought. Yep, it's a laxative and I found it at Bartell's right there next to the Metamucil. So, I took it home and after my nightly shower, I dabbed. I have to wear deodorant at night, period, otherwise, it's a very stinky situation. Anyway, I woke up that first next morning smelling like blackberry and vanilla (my fav perfume). Amazed, I dabbed more under my arms. And I smelled wonderful ALL day. I felt joy that I had found my natural deodorant alternative and I felt worried - would it last or would it turn out like the lichen crap? So, I did the milk of magnesium dab for two more weeks and I still smell better than I've ever smelled even using an antiperspirant. Better, I smell better.

So, yeah, I use milk of magnesium as a deodorant and it really does work. I'm basing this on my lifelong quest to find a natural alternative to antiperspirant along with my three weeks of testing. My only question is what to do with all those Dove antiperspirants that I bought at Costco.

No comments:

Post a Comment