Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Haiti

I watched a bit of a show on public TV about the situation in Haiti. I cried. There's so much devastation, so much poverty, so much rubble. It broke my heart and made me sad and angry. What can I say? I feel hopeless about the situation down there. I watched as a shiny giant excavator scooped up a pile of cement bits, an old blanket, and a body and dropped it into the massive dump truck. The body dangled like a piece of trash. Somewhere, maybe here, maybe in Haiti, there's someone crying over that person that they just picked up with the machine.

Then they took rubble and trash mixed with bodies and buried them in a mass grave. I guess I understand from a cleanliness point of view that bodies need to be buried as quickly as possible but emotionally, it tears me apart to see them dump bodies in what seemed like unmarked graves. It makes me feel empty. Who is crying over this person?

No comments:

Post a Comment