Friday, February 19, 2010

Supreme Court

I’m not a very political person but the recent ruling by the Supreme Court has really mad me mad. Well, it’s not surprising since they have five conservatives and four liberals. As I understand it, they’ve decided in favor of a ruling “that opens the door for corporations, labor unions, and other organizations to spend money directly from their general funds to influence campaigns. (from Yahoo! News)”

So, my non-political brain interprets this as WalMart, Warren Buffet or RJ Reynolds gets to choose who will serve in any and all of our public offices. Here’s my nightmare: my next public school official will be someone supported by Wal Mart and RJ Reynolds. Their private agenda? Buy all supplies from Walmart. Lighten smoking campaigns targeting our youth.

I just looked at a list of rich people in America and it scares me to think that they will all have access to controlling how our political campaigns turn out. Yahoo! News reported that 80% of ALL Americans of all political backgrounds are against this ruling. I think if most of the country is against this ruling, the Supreme Court should take notice.

One thing that I like about local politics is that ordinary men and women have access to it. I fear that with this new ruling, ordinary people will be left out and our important local decisions will be left to corporations. Dang, I hope it doesn’t turn out this way. I hope I’m just making a mountain out of a mole hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment