Sunday, February 21, 2010

Our National Anthem and the Olympics

I think I was in my twenties when I first listened to the words of our national anthem. I listened enthralled as the song unfolded. Sure, I'd endured years of my childhood saying the Pledge of Allegiance but it never inspired me as much as our national anthem. I love our anthem. I love it so much and it makes me proud and often it makes me tear up. The flag, our symbol of freedom had lasted through the night. Yes, it was still there. Wow, we are still here.

I feel so proud when I hear it. Especially when I hear it at the Olympics. The emotion of the moment plays across the US gold medal winner's face. A life time of dreams, a life time of sacrifice, a life time of work. It finally pays off, the US Olympian has won gold. Then they play the Star Spangled Banner as they raise the flag in salute. I see their tears, I feel my tears, I feel their pride. The highest achievement for a life time of work.

Yet, this pride for my country has a double-edged sword. I love my country, yet, I see that my country hasn't always acted in ways that make me swell with pride. I can't control what my government does but my hope it that I can behave in a way that is respectful of humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment