Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I never thanked my mom for making my tutu

She made it out of kelly green tulle netting and added dark green sequins on the ends to make it sparkle. It was for my dance recital. I absolutely loved it! I played with it for many years and when it no longer fit my waist, I’d wear it on my head and rock out. 

This one simple act of my mom’s gave me years of pleasure and creative play. I imagined I was a ballerina performing on stage or a princess dancing at a ball. Sometimes, I used it as a mega car ramp, a tumbling tumble weed, or a volleyball. Some of my fondest memories are from when I’d rock out. I’d put on my sparkly green tutu-hair, tune my air guitar, and perform my latest hits for all my fans. My fans, AKA stuffed animals, loved it.

When she made my tutu, she was a single mom in her thirties with three kids and she worked full time. She must have been exhausted. In fact, now that I’m a parent that I can empathize with how physically and emotionally tired she must have been. 

Thanks mom for making my tutu. I loved it and thank you for taking the time to give me such a wonderful gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment