Thursday, June 3, 2010

My Basil

Ok, it's June 3rd already and already my basil is looking all yellow and upset from all the over-watering it has received due to El Nino. It was very green and happy looking when I bought the basil starts. Now, it just looks depressed from all the rain. It looks how I often feel throughout the wintertime here in this god-awful, soul-sucking winter weather we're forced to endure. June in Seattle and we still have the heat coming on.

We've had so much rain and gray weather that I was blinded this morning when the sun finally came out. But, yes, it finally came out and it's glorious. The warm sun makes me feel like I can have fun adventures. It makes me feel alive. It makes me feel like replacing that yellowing basil. Oh, the basil, my favorite herb. I've got it growing against the house on the South side. Usually, the sun warms the stuccoed side of our house which in turn keeps the basil really warm and happy. Hey, maybe I should go set up camp with the basil so I can be warm.

I suppose our depressing and bone-chilling Northwest winters have their pluses. The big one I can think of is how incredibly happy I feel when summer finally arrives. I'm also able to see more vistas because the trees have all lost their leaves. I also don't have to worry much about sunscreen. And, I don't have to take care of the garden. So, I guess winter has a few good points. But, honestly, I'd rather slather sunscreen and garden all year in exchange for warmer and sunnier weather. So would my basil.

1 comment:

  1. My basil is all yellow and the leaves are thick. It's time to pull them out and replace them with god knows what.

    ReplyDelete