Friday, June 25, 2010

Musings While Exercising

I began doing this walk/job combo a while ago when walking with my son who rides his bike with training wheels. I have to run to keep up with him. And, actually, I'm getting pretty good at jogging. So, while jogging, I'll often pass more serious joggers. I can tell because they're wearing skin tight lycra which probably wicks sweat away from the body, they have their music strapped around their bicep, and they don't stop as often as I do. I usually wear jeans or whatever I happen to be wearing that day. It's a very rare occasion that I get dressed to exercise. I figure if I have to plan one more activity around exercise then most likely I'd never go.

Today, I passed this guy who wore lycra with big patches of black and white on his legs 'Wow, 80's dude,' I thought. He was really making a statement. Most serious joggers seem to wear shorts or lycra and a performance t-shirt all from REI of course (which isn't such a great store, by the way). Seattle jogger etiquette calls for no acknowledgment of the other jogger, no smiling, no nothing. So, for kicks, I do the forbidden Seattle thing, I smile at other joggers. Some people smile back, some nod, but most just ignore me like I'm that bothersome moss on the north sidewalk.

I think to myself, "Self, what is it about most of these joggers that prevent them from smiling at me." Here are my responses to myself:

"Gasp, gasp, gasp."

"Oh yeah, they're exercising and don't have time to smile."

"But, it's easier to smile than to frown."

"What a jerk."

"Oh wait, they were probably shocked that a stranger showed any emotion. Since we're in Seattle and strangers don't talk to each other, why would they even smile."

"But, it only takes one second to smile and when you smile, your body releases those feel-good hormones. Aren't joggers and runners looking for that runners-high. Gasp, gasp, gasp. They could just stop running and start smiling to get at the seratonin. No jogging, no drugs, just smile. Stop talking to yourself and just jog and don't smile, damnit!"

"Oh, yeah, I forgot, I live in Seattle. I keep forgetting that part."

"Gasp, gasp. gasp."

No comments:

Post a Comment